Wednesday, October 11, 2017

13A - Reading Reflection

Coco Chanel: An Intimate Life by Lisa Chaney

What surprised you the most?
My whole life I have regarded Coco Chanel as upper class, pretentious, and slightly stuffy. However, when I read this book I realized that she was actually a rebel in her time. In the early 1900s, it was stylistically appropriate for a woman to wear large skirts, corsets, and uncomfortable clothing. Chanel was rebellious in that she designed simple, chic, and comfortable clothes for women.

What about the entrepreneur did you most admire?
I admire Chanel’s rebellious nature and her dedication to her design. One of Chanel’s most famous quotes is an excellent portrayal of this trait:
“I don’t care what you think about me. I don’t think about you at all.”

What about the entrepreneur did you least admire?
In the book, it was alleged that Chanel had a relationship with a German soldier during WWII. It is also alleged that she demonstrated certain Anti-Semitic views.

Did the entrepreneur encounter adversity and failure? If so, what did they do about it?
Chanel did encounter adversity when she first presented her ideas. Her ideas about women’s clothing were revolutionary and many at the time did not agree. However, she met this adversity with courage and she persisted.

2) What competencies did you notice that the entrepreneur exhibited?
This entrepreneur was uninhibited which was a huge part of her success. At the beginning of her career she made the choice to be different and the choice to be in defense of women, which was not a commonly made choice.

3) Identify at least one part of the reading that was confusing to you.
Coco Chanel was and still is an incredibly famous designer. When I read about her potential Anti-Semitic views during WWII I was surprised and shocked that I hadn’t heard about them before.

4) If you were able to ask two questions to the entrepreneur, what would you ask? Why?
What was your inspiration?
What is one thing that you wish you had known as a young female entrepreneur?

5) For fun: what do you think the entrepreneur's opinion was of hard work? Do you share that opinion?
I believe that Chanel would think that hard work comes naturally with passion. I don’t believe that she would have put effort into a career that wasn’t her complete obsession. I agree mostly with this position; however, I feel like sometimes you have to put in the work even if the project is not something you are absolutely passionate about because it could lead to something even better.



1 comment:

  1. I had no idea that Chanel was rebellious either. I don't know much regarding women's clothing, but I always associated the brand with the same pretentious attitude that you did. It is very interesting to find out that Chanel actually pioneered a whole idea in women's clothing. From what you said it certainly seems that she is an incredibly hard worker and a very intelligent woman. Great post!

    ReplyDelete